FAQs about INSEAD
[Work in progress] This will be a list of commonly asked questions. If available, a variety of different answers will be provided for each question. We all have different points of view and sometimes nobody’s exactly right or wrong - it’s up to the individual.
- Is there a difference between the Fontainebleau and Singapore campuses? Views are mixed on this. Obviously, the two campuses are in different regions and each has its own charm. On some websites Singapore is referred to as ‘Club Med’, while Fontainebleau (or Fonty as we call it) is said to be more boring. However, Fonty is the larger campus and because of its relative isolation, students there are closer to each other, whereas in Singapore people are doing many different things each weekend and have less opportunity to bond.
- Does it matter if I apply to start in Fontainebleau or Singapore? i.e. will my chances be affected? No, it doesn’t. I’ve heard from another MBA graduate that some INSEAD graduates are snooty enough to add the name ‘Fontainebleau’ after their MBA title, as if a Fonty-earned degree is better than the Singapore one. That seems to defeat the whole spirit of belonging to an international school that has links all over the world.
- Is it really worth going on exchange to Wharton? After asking numerous people from different batches, the answer seems to be mostly no, unless you have a strong intention to work in the US, and preferably have a work permit already (or are a US citizen). I’m told you may use up all or most of your credits and won’t be able to bid for other attractive modules.
- How soon in advance should I start searching for accommodation?
- What are the pre-reading books?
- What is the profile of the Class of July 09? [Insert classmate Connor Barry’s compilation here]
- What is the INSEAD dash? It takes place in Singapore on a certain day, when residents in the nearby apartments dress in various costumes and dash from home to the school. You can find incriminating videos on YouTube.