Yesterday my blog went blank. I thought I had again exceeded my file storage space, but on checking, there was plenty of space left.
I thought I had exceeded my bandwidth, seeing how my account went over 5GB so far, this month. But the web host assured me that was not the problem.
My blog did receive over 1,500 cases of trackback spam, which took a very long time to delete, but it made no difference. (I didn’t expect it to, but it was a wild hope)
My web host said it was a problem with my S-Code capcha plugin for Movable Type, but I realised it wasn’t just my blog pages but any PHP pages using @include files. I tried using another version of ‘include’ code but that made no difference. Any text appearing after the very first line of @include code, would simply not display.
I then got suspicious as I had not touched my Movable Type plugins or templates recently. I asked my web host if they had recently upgraded their version of PHP. The answer was yes. I read up on the latest documentation involving the ‘include’ command but haven’t quite put my finger on what the problem is. Do you have any idea?
This is how I encase my include files:
<?php @include("<MTBlogURL>includes/header.php"); ?>
It worked fine until, presumably, the upgrade to PHP 4.4.6.
At least, I managed to narrow it down and sure enough, as I substituted the @include links with the original lines of code, things started appearing again. This home page, which some of you might be viewing right now, is working simply because of this.
But this is only a quick fix. I need to figure out the PHP problem as I still want to use ‘include’ files for better control of my code. If you guys know a workaround, please let me know! Thanks.
[Of course, for you guys to reply, I have to ‘quick-fix’ my individual blog post template as well, so it no longer calls on ‘include’ files. Sigh. I’m only going to re-publish recent posts for now, so at least you don’t see blank pages.]
Problems with PHP